Saturday, April 18, 2009

Thoughts on Keith Johnston's "IMPRO"

Reading Johnston's book again after a long time. I read it many years ago as an undergraduate who needed to go through the assigned reading list. Unfortunately, like a clueless youngster, much of what Johnston has siad in the book didn't register at all.


I know that now because there is not even a sense of familiarity with the text at all. Unfortunate.


I am glad I decided to read it again.


Here's something that really makes sense to me:
"I've always directed plays as if I was totally ignorant about directing; I simply approach each problem on a basis of common sense and try to find the most obvious solutions possible."


To be like a child again, to tackle each task by the most obvious means.


What a timely reminder. :)


After the simple, common sensical solutions are applied, we can then highten the theatrical experience by adding accents, be they subtle or obvious.


Question is, how do we know what works and what doesn't? :)


    


Powered by Qumana


No comments:

Post a Comment