Friday, May 8, 2009

An Inane Entry by a Serial Procrastinator

"Why oh why do I blog?"


I return to this question I asked myself many times when I first begin to blog.


According to economist Steven D. Levitt and author/journalist Stephen J. Dubner who co-wrote Freakonomics, which by the way is an absolutely fantastic read though I have just started on it. You might have already heard about it or read it since it was published a few years ago. "Well, better late then never!" That's what I say to myself all the time.


Sorry I digress. According to the guys, human behaviour can always be explained by the economic law of available incentives. I shall not attempt to go into the content of the book as, like I said earlier, I have only just started.


"So your point is..."


My point is, I can immediately apply what I observe about my desire to blog to what Levitt and Dubner were talking about. Superficially, I blog because it is a way for me to express myself. It is also a way for me to connect with various groups of people. Dig deeper, what drives me really is a need to talk to people without being interrupted, without being judged right away and getting the message across. Thus, the incentive of me initially spending hours crafting blog articles is that I am able to impose my views on unsuspecting students, friends and family members!


This brings me to the real point I am making: With the note-making application on Facebook, and the fact that a lot of people who matter to me and whom I want my views to reach are on Facebook, why do I still bother to blog?


Why?


Because I still can't bring myself to mark my papers yet!


 


   


Powered by Qumana


No comments:

Post a Comment